For the fruit filling
- 2 oranges, zested and juiced
- 4 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch / 1.75cm slices
- 1/2 cup / 110g packed soft brown sugar
For the pastry
- 125g / 4.4oz plain flour
- 125g / 4.4oz cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons packed soft brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- Plain yogurt, to serve
- Medium saucepan
- Food processor (or a bowl with a hand pastry blender or 2 table knives)
- Ovenproof baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas mark 4.
- For the filling, add the orange juice to the saucepan with sliced apples, zest and sugar. Over medium heat, stir the mixture well and simmer 6-8 minutes until the apple has softened slightly.
- Pour the fruit into the baking dish.
- For the pastry topping, add the flour and butter into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles small peas. Add the sugar and allspice, and pulse 2-3 times just to mix. (Alternatively, add the flour and butter to a large bowl and use the table knives, one in each hand, to cut the butter into the flour until it resembles small peas. Stir in the sugar and allspice with a fork until well mixed.)
- Spoon the pastry mixture over the fruit in the baking dish. Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes, or until the topping is golden-brown and crisp. Serve the crumble with spoonfuls of plain yogurt.