For the vinaigrette
- 90g / 31/2 oz prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 75ml / 3fl oz white wine vinegar
- 200ml / 7fl oz olive oil
- 75g / 1 tablespoon honey
- Handful of chopped parsley
- Handful of chopped mint
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salad
- 285g / 10 oz Puy lentils, cooked according to the packet instructions (or 1 14 oz / 400g salt-reduced canned lentils, drained)
- 4 courgettes, cut into thick rounds (1 cm / 1/2 inch)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 sweet red peppers, seeded and diced
- 75g / 2 3/4 oz raisins, soaked in fruit juice to cover
- 75g / 2 3/4 oz walnuts, chopped
- 75g / 2 3/4 oz chopped dates or prunes
- Food processor (or Jam jar with a lid)
- Large salad or mixing bowl
- Large frying or griddle pan
- Large wooden fork and spoon
- To mix the dressing, blend the vinegar, mustard, spices and honey in a food processor until smooth.
- With the motor running, gradually add the the oil to slowly emulsify the sauce. Stir in the chopped parsley and mint. (Alternatively, add the vinegar, mustard, spices and honey to the jam jar and shake with the lid screwed on until smooth. Add the oil and continue shaking with the lid on until well mixed; stir in the chopped parsley and mint.) Set aside.
- Toss the courgettes and the 1 tablespoon oil together in the large bowl until well coated.
- Heat the the frying or griddle pan over a medium heat. Add the courgettes and fry for 3-4 minutes on each side until softened. Set aside on paper towelling to drain and cool.
- To serve the salad, add the fired courgettes and the remaining salad ingredients into the large bowl. Add dressing, salt and pepper to taste.