- 160g/60z self-raising wholemeal flour
- 160g/60z plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 150 ml /1/4 pint semi-skimmed milk stirred together with 150 ml / 1/4 pint plain natural yogurt
- 2-3 tablespoons mixed seeds, e.g. pumpkin, sesame, poppy, etc.
- 4 tablespoons rolled oats
- Extra plain flour as needed
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 baking sheet
- 1 sharp knife
- 1 measuring jug
- 1 large fork for mixing
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F / Gas 6
- Add the flours, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl and stir. Stir in the oats.
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture and pour in the milk mixed with yogurt, mixing quickly with a large fork to form a soft dough. (You may need to add a little milk if the dough seems too stiff, or sprinkle with a little flour if too sticky; it should not be too wet or sticky.)
- Tun onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for about 30 seconds.
- Shape into a round and flatten the dough slightly before placing on a lightly floured baking sheet.
- Cut a small cross on the top with the sharp knife to allow the bread to rise more easily.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow sounds hollow when tapped.
- Allow the bread to cool on a wire rack.